Saturday, February 28, 2015

Gutter Shelves

So I was talking to a good friend of mine back in Wisconsin awhile ago, and he was telling me about these shelves that he had built for his son's books. He said they were super easy and inexpensive. All he used was rain gutters! WHA?! Well I actually ran across a pinterest post on the rain gutter shelves. My daughter is 2, so even though they are plastic and kind of flimsy, they work for her for now. They actually have been up on her wall for awhile now and I honestly am not sure if it was the greatest idea. They serve their purpose for now until daddy and mommy can come up with wood to make some real shelves. We use them to hold books that our little peanut can't quite look at on her own. She has a fascination with ripping the bindings off of her books and also ripping the pages out. They are perfect for a few books but not as many as this little girl acquires. Every time we go to the store she gets a new book.... That's a lot of books!!! ANYWAYS! I bought all of my rain gutter pieces from Home Depot (go figure). I threw a fun twist into her gutters though by painting them silver and adding silver glitter spray paint on top. 



I bought 2 center junctions, 4 corner caps, and 2 gutters which my husband had to take the skill saw and cut each in half. 


I then assembled the pieces together and glued the junction pieces and caps with PVC glue that my handy husband already had on hand. 




I painted each with silver Rust-oleum spray paint for plastic. Once they were dry, I sprayed the outside with silver glitter spray which I actually picked up from Michael's for another project. 


I had to let these guys sit in my garage for a night to dry out completely and to get that spray paint smell completely off of them. Don't need my little girl breathing in spray paint fumes! 
The next day my husband and I hung them in my daughter room with regular self tapping screws. We also used our handy little stud finder/leveler. After they were up and secured tightly, we put her books on, and I even hung a nice pair of decorative lights on the bottom and called it good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment