Monday, April 7, 2014

Color meshing

We moved into our brand new house in April 2013. It's a beautiful home, on the hill in a subdivision, facing the Sleeping Giant Mountain Range. It's all neutral colors on the outside, a tan colored siding with greenish/brown trim and a red/brown door. Very earthy in other words. Well, up until about 2 months ago, the house was absolutely nothing but painters flat white. Every single room was just white! I'm sure the builders intentions were to keep the house a solid white, so when the home owner moved in they could choose their colors. Well needless to say, after living in a house of all white walls for almost a year, I needed some color to my life. Plus, this winter was incredibly long and looking out the window and seeing more white just killed me even more.
My husband and I went to Home Depot and took a bunch of earth toned color swatches and went through them and decided to stick with our brown and tan tones. For some reason we are both drawn to earthy colors. Well long story short, we painted our hallways, kitchen, and dining room these beautiful brown and tan tones and it turned out amazingly!
Well I had about a quarter of each color left in each can. I didn't want to throw away what was left, so I went on YouTube and looked up painting techniques. I came across a company called The Woolie Company. They have a really great video collection of techniques that you can do with their patent brush, The Woolie. I fell in love with their technique called, Color Meshing. I didn't wanted to pay the price that they sold their brush for so I decided to keep looking. Well with some luck, I found a wool mitten used for painting and staining at Home Depot, which was perfect to do this project!
Ever since I finished my first wall with this technique, I found out its super easy and it looks amazing.
So to start, if you don't have a color that can be easily color meshed, you'll want to either put a primer on or else just pick a darker tone to neutralize the color underneath.

Next, you'll want to pick three colors. You'll want the to be of the same color. I picked a dark brown, medium milk chocolate brown, and a light tan.

You'll need a large flat bristle brush. I actually used a medium size and it worked just fine.

To start, you'll want to take your brush and dip it in any of the three colors and slap it on the wall. Now it sounds super strange but make sure the colors are dripping down the wall when you put it on. Also, make sure you stagger the colors apart so they mix well.

Now after you've put all three colors on the wall, take your brush and mix them together. Once your done mixing the colors with your brush, you're going to put your wool mitten on and start dabbing the colors on the wall. It will created a mixed, stippling effect. Just keep doing this technique all over your wall and it should look like this!

My finished product came out different then seen on The Woolie Company's video. Keep in mind, I am using a mitten not a brush like she is. Either way, I'm in love with the way it turned out. Now, I have to finish the rest of my living room like that!

This is the link if you are interested in Color Meshing!
http://youtu.be/JbAD1dIqfU0

1 comment:

  1. I love what you did on the far wall (behind the stairs) as well! A finishing technique that I think looks great with color meshing is to use a dry men's shaving brush (you know, those old timey badger brushes that now come in animal-friendly synthetics that are just as soft) and gently swirl after meshing to blend any hard stippling lines. The effect is a very luxurious transition of color that I think elevates the chic factor of this technique, but I still love your project. I'll take a celebration of color and a strong choice over boring whites and neutrals any day!

    ReplyDelete